Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 25 - Red Rocks, CO

Rest Day - Avett Brothers Concert / Day 25 of 54 / Red Rocks, CO

*To donate to our cause and support our high school band program please Click Here*

And commence the day I was looking forward to most of all on this trip... for a few reasons.

1. It was a much needed day off the bike
2. I got to see my favorite band play.
3. I got to see said band with a dear friend from Elon who really got me into this band (and has been to two other of their shows with me)
4. I got to introduce Seth to my favorite band.
5. I got to see this band play at Red Rocks, arguably the best outdoor venue to see a concert in the US.

So, needless to say, I was excited.

After a great fourth, we spent the morning of the fifth hanging out at the city park and went to the original Chipotle (!) for lunch. As a huge Chipotle fiend, it was awesome to see the original store. Was surprised how small it was.

We spent the afternoon in one of the largest record stores that I had ever seen, and then made our way north of Denver to Morrison for the concert.

It's hard to describe Red Rocks, so I hope the pictures do it some justice. Built into large red rock formations (hence the name) it's a mecca for outdoor music venues. The acoustics are just incredible and there couldn't be a prettier backdrop - the Rocky Mountains and Denver in the background.


The way the amphitheater is built is unique as well. Very natural. There are only a few pieces that are man-made, other than that it's a natural amphitheater.

Home to some legends such as The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, the Eagles, etc. Red Rocks has seen it all and remains a legendary venue that should be on any music lover's bucket list.

The Avett Brothers were so good. Hailing from North Carolina, this four-piece folk rock band can really bring it. Their live concerts are so entertaining with a mix of banjo, piano, harmonica, guitars. fiddle, cello and bass.

What was so unique about the concert (other than the otherworldly venue) is that they were slated to play two nights in a row at Red Rocks, meaning that they were able to play some of their lesser known songs and B-sides. Being a die hard, I loved this, as it meant that I was able to hear some songs not normally played live.

Lesson #61: If you're going to see your favorite band, make sure they're playing twice. You get to hear more great music that way!

After an unforgettable evening, and successfully introducing Seth to my favorite band, we were back on our way to Pueblo to jump back on the bikes and continue with our reality. (How cool is it that riding a bike across the country is our day-to-day job right now?!?)


No comments:

Post a Comment